Creating a Cherry in Ice Cube with Photoshop Tutorial
A nice ice cube is not easy to create, due to its condition and surface are difficult to be copied. However, applying Photoshop setting can allow you to form the ice cube. Then, you can arrange your object to be inside the cube, such as animal or any fruits.
- Create a new document in Photoshop – 800 * 600px, 72 px/inch.
- Unlock background layer and apply following layer style effects to it.
- Choose Rounded Rectangle Tool with Radius 10px and create square around 200x200px in Shape Layers mode. We will use this shape to create 3D cube with rounded and smooth edges and corners. Do not rasterize created shape.
- Open 3D Tools palette. And create a new 3D object from the rounded rectangular shape .
- You will see following message, just click “Yes”.
- Then apply 3D settings in the Repousse window, rotate created shape using “Rotate The Mesh” tool to change perspective position.
- Apply ice texture to this shape.
- Here you may find settings for the Front Inflation Material.
- Right click Diffuse icon and choose “Edit Properties” and change texture position .
- Settings for the front Bevel Material, use the same ice texture for Diffuse and Bump parameters.
- But change Texture Properties:
- Settings for the Extrusion Material:
- Edit Texture Properties like on the screen shot below (don’t pay attention to back side materials settings in this shape position):
- Open 3D lights settings palette and create lights like on the screen shot. In order to add a new light, click the Create A New Light button , and choose the light type from the drop down menu. Find Light position settings in the top part of screen shot or apply your own by rotating 3D Axis guide. To view Axis guide click the Toggle icon and select 3D Axis.
- Duplicate 3D shape and change texture settings for the duplicated materials.
- Use another texture for this shape. Here is the list of new materials parameters:
- Apply following Texture Properties for the Front Inflation Material(the same settings for the both of Opacity and Bump parameters):
- Front Bevel Material settings:
- Extrusion Material settings:
- This shape has some transparent areas because of black and white spots texture for the Opacity Parameter. That’s why we need to set back side materials for this shape. Make them just invisible, apply Opacity = 0% to Back Bevel Material and Back Inflation Material.
- Adjust lights settings:
- Return to the layers palette and apply Overlay Blending Mode to the new ice texture 3D shape.
- Apply “Ray Traced Final” Quality for both of 3D shapes.
- You should have similar result after rendering:
- Group 3d shapes and duplicate the group. Make group with the original 3D layers invisible(we will use original 3D shape in future steps to create reflection)and create Smart Object from the duplicated group – right click to the group and choose “Convert to Smart Object”. Correct Hue/Saturation settings for this shape a bit(click to add Hue/Saturation adjustment layer, right click to this layer and choose “Create Clipping Mask”)
- Also add “Smart Sharpen” filter effect – Filter > Sharpen > Smart Sharpen. You may find settings for the Hue/Saturation and Smart Sharpen filter on the last screen shots.
- Rasterize Smart object ice cube layer and merge it with Hue/Saturation adjustment layer. Then apply Liquify filter to it, Filter > Liquify. Deform cube straight lines with Forward Warp Tool to create more natural ice cube shape:
- Duplicate deformed ice shape, apply Flip Vertical transformation to the duplicate – Edit > Transform > Flip Vertical. Then choose Eraser Tool and erase bottom edge, just like on the example below:
- Choose Polygonal Lasso Tool and select one of the edges.
- Continue clicking to set endpoints for subsequent segments.
- Cut out selected part of ice shape and paste it into a new layer.
- Also you may see moved original 3D layer. Return to the group with original 3D layers and select one of 3D layers. Then choose “Drag the 3D Object” Tool and move the shape down just like on the screen shot. We will use this shape as a reflection guideway.
- You should have edges for reflection in the different layers. Choose right edge and move it down below the deformed ice cube shape, then go to Edit > Transform > Distort. Drag corner points to align left edge with left edge of 3D shape. Try to line up ice texture(look at marked area)
- Repeat the same action with the another edge.
- Make helper 3D layer invisible again. Merge transformed reflection layers. Set Opacity around 45%.
- Add layer mask to this layer, fill the bottom part of Layer Mask with black and white gradient to create fading effect.
- Create Levels Adjustment clipping mask for the reflection layer, use settings from the second screen shot.
- Create a small dark reflection(selected area on the screen shot).
- Duplicate deformed ice layer.
- Place duplicated layer below the original.
- move it down on 5-6 px.
- Apply Multiply Blending Mode and Opacity 75%.
- Erase marked area above the bottom of ice cube edges.
- Then Apply Gaussian Blur filter – 1px. Filter > Blur > Gaussian Blur.
- Separate cherry from the white background and insert it to the Photoshop file.
- Cut out selected part of the cherry image and paste it into a new layer.
- Select bottom part of the cherry.
- Go to Ice layer and copy selected part.
- Paste copied ice area above cherry layer, apply Screen Blending Mode and opacity 92%.
- Then add levels adjustments, you may use adjustment layer as in several previous examples or just go to the Image > Adjustments > Levels, Check out levels settings on the second screen shot.
- Add red reflection to the ice shape, add Inner shadow layer style effect.
- Group following 3 layers: bottom part of cherry, top part and ice layer above cherry.
- Duplicate created group and merge it.
- Apply Flip Vertical transformation to merged group. Edit > Transform > Flip Vertical.
- Place cherry reflection layer below Ice shape layer, just like on the screen shot below:
- Load selection for the ice cube shape.
- Go to cherry reflection layer and cut out selected area.
- Then paste it into a new layer above Ice cube. Apply Inner shadow layer style effect to this small reflection piece and Opacity – 75%.
- Return to the reflection layer below of ice shape.
- Apply Multiply Blending mode to it and Opacity 35%.
- Add Layer Mask to this layer and fill bottom part of the Mask with linear Black and White gradient.
- Group cherry and Ice cube layers above reflection, duplicate the group and merge it – Group 4 copy 7 on the screen shot below. We will use this merged copy to create shadow effect.
- Go to Image > Adjustments > Black and white, choose Default preset.
- Go to Edit > Transform > Distort transform. Transform black&white shape just like in the screen shot below, apply Blending Mode to shadow layer.
- move shadow layer below ice cube layers. Erase left corner(marked on the screen shot)
- Touch top part of shadow wit large soft Eraser Tool to create fading shadow effect.
- Apply Gaussian Blur filter to this layer:
And here is result!
- How to Remove a person from a photo by using cs 5 Content Aware
- Making Wordpress Logo
- Creating a Realistc SLR Camera with Photoshop
- Glossy-Style Carbon Fibre Navigation Buttons
- Without Removing Hair Remove Background
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- September 2013
- July 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010